I am a sucker for a lovely piece of cake. It is something that runs in the family. My nana is a master baker and my mum owns a cake boat shop, so I have always been surrounded by sweet, tasty cakes. However when it comes to having fruit in my cake I am always very dubious. I hate Christmas cake and pudding. However I love cakes with fresh cream and fresh fruit. I had various punnets of fruit in my fridge that quickly needed using up, so I had a think about what I could quickly whip up. Realizing I had some 0% fat Greek yogurt in the fridge, I decided to create an nice moist cake packed with summer berries. This resulted in a blueberry & raspberry yogurt cake, the perfect cake to make for that summer afternoon tea.
BLUEBERRY & RASPBERRY YOGURT CAKE INGREDIENTS:
- 150g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 75g of coconut oil
- 3 eggs (or you could use 3 flax/chia seed eggs)
- 4 tbsp 0% Yeo Valley Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 100g raspberries
- 100g blueberries
- A dollop of Yeo Valley 0% fat creme fraiche
BLUEBERRY & RASPBERRY YOGURT CAKE METHOD:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees, and line a 18cm cake tin.
- Sift the flour, baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Add the honey, coconut oil, unbeaten eggs, vanilla extract, lemon zest and Greek yogurt.
- Use a wooden spoon to beat the mixture together.
- Fold in the blueberries and raspberries (leave some for the decoration).
- Place the mixture into the tin and bake for around 35-40 minutes.
- Decorate the cake with the remaining raspberries and blueberries and sprinkle some icing sugar on top.
- To finish off serve with a dollop of Yeo Valley 0% fat creme fraiche.