Being part French I love to indulge in creamy garlic sauces. They are by far one my favourite dishes, chicken Alfredo, moules mariniere, carbonara, , bechamel sauce in lasagna, well you get the hint. These dishes however contain a considerable amount of cream or cheese. This not the best for my diet or my heart. So I went in search to find a healthy alternative. Not only are avocados known for their creamy texture, they have so many other health benefits, from lowering the cholesterol and triglyceride levels, to relieving the symptoms of arthritis. Although people steer away from avocado due to their fat content, people often forget that these are healthy fats, and the avocado has been deemed the new super food. This means the avocado is the perfect alternative for cream in our dish, its healthy and provides the texture and flavour we need. We decided to mix it with some quorn chicken and asparagus, peas and broccoli to create a creamy avocado pasta with greens.
CREAMY AVOCADO PASTA INGREDIENT for 2:
- 3 chicken breasts (We use quorn chicken)
- 6 asparagus spears
- 1 cup of peas
- 1 cup of broccoli
- 1 tbsp of fresh parsley
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp of salt
CREAMY AVOCADO PASTA WITH GREENS METHOD:
- Pop your spaghetti on the boil and steam your vegetables over the top.
- Add the avocado, coconut milk, water, lemon, salt and pepper into a blender.
- With the sauce ready boil your quorn chicken in the sauce.
- * If you are using normal chicken, fry the chicken and add the sauce later just to heat it up.
- Once the chicken is ready cut it into little pieces.
- Once the veg and pasta is ready drain it.
- Mix the veg, pasta, chicken and sauce together.
- Sprinkle some fresh parsley on the top.
- We served it with some homemade garlic bread.