I have never been a massive fan of normal sausages and when me and my partner were in Spain, I found chicken sausages and instantly fell in love with them. On returning to the UK I could not find a decent chicken sausage anywhere only frankfurters, that was until I accidentally found the HECK chicken sausage. I picked out the Italia sausages which sounded super yummy infused with basil, tomatoes & mozzarella. I thought they were more worthy of a proper meal rather than a fry up, with them being low in fat we opted for a healthy chicken sausage casserole packed with some veggies.
CHICKEN SAUSAGE CASSEROLE INGREDIENTS:
- 8 baby potatoes (cut in half)
- 8 HECK chicken Italia sausages (I cut mine up)
- 3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 400g passata
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 3 carrots
- 2 leeks
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tsp chopped coriander
- 1tsp chopped parsley
- A baguette
CHICKEN SAUSAGE CASSEROLE METHOD:
- Turn the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4.Cut the potatoes in half. Peel the carrots and cut each carrot into chunks. Cut the leek into similar chunks. Peel the sweet potato and cut into cubes.
- Cook the sausages in a frying pan with a little bit of olive oil. Give the sausages a little prick so the fat can run out and they wont split open.
- In a casserole dish heat some olive oil and add in the onions, cook until soft and add in the garlic.
- Add the chopped potatoes and carrots everything else and stir around in the dish so that the vegetables are coated with the oil.
- Add the tomatoes and stock, along with the parsley and coriander. Bring to a simmer.
- Cut up the sausages and add to the mix.
- Put the casserole into the oven. Cook for 45 minutes.
- Serve with some warm crusty bread.