I am currently on a short break staying with my mum on her canal boat. I have a love and hate relationship with this. Its so nice to get away and be cruising down the canal, breathing the fresh country air. However she runs a cake cafe off the boat, so its time to indulge and get fat. The one thing I always have when visiting is her infamous cream teas. They always remind me of my childhood holidays in Cornwall. Except with these I get mums homemade jam. I must admit its the only time I want and eat scones, so I guess it ok to have a little indulge right? My mum always seems to make the greatest scones, crumbly and soft but still holding a little moisture. So I have decided to share with you mum’s perfect scone recipe.
PERFECT SCONE INGREDIENTS:
- 350g of self raising flour
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 85g of butter
- 175ml of milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- A squirt of lemon juice
PERFECT SCONE METHOD:
- Heat the oven to 220 degrees.
- Mix the lemon juice, vanilla and milk in a jug.
- Mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
- Chop the butter into the mix with a knife, then with your fingertips rub the bitter into the flour mix until into breadcrumbs consistency.
- Add the milk and mix with a knife.
- Gently mould the dough together and pat out.
- Cut out your scones using a 5cm cutter.
- Glaze with milk.
- Bake for around 10-15 minutes.
- Serve as you like them. (Though for me its got to be clotted cream and jam)