I am a sucker for summer fruits especially Strawberries, I remember picking them fresh in my grandparents allotment so juicy, so ripe, and of course lovely and sweet. So when summer comes around I buy strawberries by the punnets, I really should head to a pick your own strawberry farm, or to my grandparents and made a fruit picking deal with them. I also love pastry, so crumbly and smooth, but lots and lots of butter. I went in search to find a pastry mix that did not involve butter, but was still just as crumbly and tasty, and oh heck I think I found it. So i mixed my two favourite things together to make a super healthy strawberry tart. Here is the recipe I hope you enjoy. The great thing is you can use this pastry recipe for so many different tarts and pies. Need something chocolaty, well head over to my desserts page and you can get a healthy recipe for my chocolate coconut cake.
STRAWBERRY TART INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup of flour.
- 1 tbsp of honey.
- 1/4 plus 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- 2 tbsp of water.
- 1/2 punnet strawberries.
- 1/2 packet sugar free jelly (choose your flavour but I went for raspberry)
- We recommend adding a nice dollop of yogurt, cream or creme fraiche (We use Arla honey Skyr)
STRAWBERRY TARt METHOD:
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- In a bowl tip all the flour in.
- Combine the oil, honey and water in a measuring jug and mix together well.
- Pour all the contents quickly into the flour and mix together.
- Form the dough into a ball.
- I found this pasty can be quite sticky, so I recommend rolling it between two sheets of grease proof paper.
- Leave the pastry on the bottom sheet place your tin over and flip, gently smooth down the pasty into the tin.
- Prick the pastry bottom with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Boil some water and add to the jelly.
- Now cut up about 1/2 punnet of strawberries in half and place them in a circle form into the crust.
- Pour over the jelly and put in the fridge.